Monday, June 19, 2006

Self-confidence and motivation, Polish-style.

Ever since I saw photos of Michael Owen on the beach with his girlfriend I have been very much disappointed with the world of football. However, since the World Cup is only once every few years, I've been trying to follow the playoffs as much as my limited time will allow.
One thing I find fascinating are the explanations coaches give for their teams' miserable performance. The Polish head coach, Pawel Janas, is quite good at this art, having had time from 1974 to figure out the reasons behind Poland's weak presence on the soccer field.
Some memorable quotes of his:
"The only problem was that we scored less goals than our opponents did".
Or my personal favorite "The truth is it was impossible for us to win. There aren't enough good soccer players in Poland".
Nothing like believing in your team...

No comments: